South Health Campus
Getting ready to open their doors
With construction winding down the South Health Campus (SHC) is
getting closer to opening its doors. Tentatively the SHC has slated
Family Medicine & Initial Specialty Clinics to open in Summer
2012 while the Emergency Department, Rapid Access Unit & Day
Medicine are looking at a Winter 2012 opening date.
The facility will be Southern Alberta's second major referral
centre for tertiary/quaternary services.
The vision for the SHC is to create the future of health care by
transforming care and service experiences for patients,
transforming work experience for staff and physicians and building
a more sustainable, integrated health care system. The project is
expected to be fully implemented by 2017/18.
Focusing on innovation in care the SHC has developed a plan that
- Decentralized nursing stations
- 90 per cent private inpatient rooms
- Way-finding and information kiosks
- Automated medication dispensing cabinets
- Single room maternity care & MD/midwife collaboration
- eSim training for multi-disciplines and complex care
- Primary Care Network partnership
The initial phase will include 293 beds, a capacity for 200,000
annual outpatient visits and highly-technical core service areas
including: emergency department, intensive care, diagnostic
imaging, laboratory and operating rooms.
The Calgary Health Trust is raising funds for the new facility
to help realize its vision.